Monday, July 4, 2011

The Deck!! Ooh, Pappy's gonna be in trouble!

Well, I'm a few days behind on my postings, but this has been a busy weekend!

On Friday, the girls and I went over to my parents house, to hang out while my Dad was cutting down a very large, somewhat dead tree down. It was leaning over their deck, and he didn't want it falling on the house or deck. So, the girls and I are outback, where my Dad (the girls call him Pappy) is working. We are in the lower part of the yard, on the swing set, when my Dad gets the lift up as high as he can, and slowly and cautiously cuts down the highest branch.
At first it starts of slow. You hear the chainsaw for a few seconds. Then, the creaking of the tree cracking. Then, pause. Then, more cracking. At this point, it has Charly's full attention. Then, crack! You see this giant tree branch swinging downward toward the deck. Kenna is on the swing, pointing at the down swinging tree branch with an "ooooohhhhhh". At that point, Charly begins to scream, in a very worried manner, "THE DEEEEEEEEEECCCCKKKKKK!" Then, boom!
The top of the branch slams down and around on the deck. At this point Charly thinks that the branch broke the big glass table on the deck, and Charly exclaims "Ooh, Pappy's gonna be in trouble by Nana!!!" Because of her reaction, I yell up to my Dad "Did you get the table?" He says "No, but it got the lamp post". Now, the lamppost is in the middle of a pretty large deck. And, when the branch swing down, it snapped off the lamp post at the smallest part of it, and one of the glass sconces shattered, which is apparently why Charly thought he got the table. She was quite happy to hear the table wasn't ruined. :)
Anyhow, my Dad gets the rest of the tree cut down, and cut up...the wood will be perfect for those summer night campfires that Charly loves so much! Well, we had a lot of brush all over the back yard. So, Dad starts gathering it up, to take it down to the woods behind the house. Well, as he has a HUGE pile of brush, completely surrounding him, I say to Charly "Look, Charly, it's a walking bush". Charly exclaims with excitement, "with a head. A human head!!" That girl is funny!!!
Thankfully, the day was quite productive, the girls had a blast, and there were no injuries. :) It was a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment