Saturday, June 25, 2011

Vroom Vroom. Should I attempt this?

I talked to a good friend, Heather, on Thursday, and she told me that she was going to take her kids to see Cars 2. Well, Charly wanted to see this too. I told Heather, that we'd have to wait until it came to the cheap, second run, theater. Then, she proceeded to tell me about this theater, that played brand new movies, for $2 matinee, and $4 after 6pm. Okay, she now has my attention. Where is this awesome theater she speaks of?? She sends me a link to the theater. http://blanchestercinemas.com/  BLANCHESTER, OH! Where in the world is Blanchester?
Well, it's about an hour from where I live in Kentucky. So, I get the calculator out and try to see if it would be worth the drive (gas) to take both girls there, or if it would be better to take just Charly to see it close to the house. Well, it was about the same, and Kenna would get to see it too. SO, we decide to go and meet her there. Woo Hoo! Charly is beyond excited. Kenna is just happy to be getting out of the house. The movie starts at 2p, so we need to be there by at least 130p, so we can get our tickets. So, we leave the house at 1235p. Woo Hoo! We can do this! Get on the road, thinking Kenna would fall asleep in the car, so we would be able to enjoy her first movie theater experience. NOPE. She's wide awake the entire trip. After sitting in some construction traffic for about 15 minutes, we finally get there at 145p. Okay, we still have time. We get the tickets (Heather bought them ahead of time, for us), and now we're in the popcorn & drink line. OMG! Could they be any slower?? They had one guy working the tickets and concession, and everytime he'd start a concession order, someone would walk in for tickets. It finally starts to slow down, and a second guy walks in. Thank goodness. Now, we get through this line of people wanting their popcorn. We up...large popcorn and sprite - $6.75. Not too bad...$12.75 for the entire new movie experience. Anyhow, would I do it again, even with the slow (at first) concession stand; You bet your hiney I would! Overall, it was a great experience!
So, we get the drink and popcorn. Charly grabs a booster seat for Kenna, and we're off to the small theater to find Heather. She's right in the middle...thankfully she saved us some seats. So, we get situated, and between Heather and kids, and me with the kids, we take up almost the whole row (just to give you an idea of when I say small theater). Then, Heather says "I hope my baby behaves". I then respond "I hope my baby does okay".
And, we're off. The movie starts. Charly is super excited. Kenna's still not sure what's going on, but the big screen and loud sounds definitely have her attention. Woo Hoo! This is fabulous! Well, about 3/4 of the way through the movie, Kenna realizes that she can get off of her seat. So, back and forth between Charly and I she starts. Then, she sees there are people in front of us. Uh Oh! What is she thinking? What is she going to do? Well, she just watches them, and decides she's having more fun going from Charly's seat, to my lap. Finally, the movie ends, and overall it was a success with Kenna's first movie. And, the movie was very cute! We love Mater though, so it was a success to the Feightner gals. On the way out, I did apologize to the guys cleaning the theater. It appeared as though a popcorn bomb went off under Kenna's seat.
So, on the road we go. The girls are definitely tired at this point. We are on the road, maybe 5 minutes, and Kenna's out. Woo Hoo! Then, before I get to the interstate, Charly's out! Woo Hoo. Quiet car ride home...this is great. THEN, we get into Kentucky, and about 5 minutes later, traffic comes to a screeching halt. OMG! I turn to the radio to find out there is a 5 car pile up one exit before mine, and it has the interstate shut down. I'm right by the on ramp...so I decide to do what others are doing, and I head down the on ramp, to a side street.  And, take the back roads to get home. So, now at this point a one hour car ride, has turned into an almost hour and a half car ride. That's when Kenna wakes up. She wants out of her seat, and now. She's thirsty. She's hungry, and I have only a chocolate chip cookie. I give it to her, and she's quiet. Then, the cookie that seemed so big at the time, now seems so tiny. Why didn't I have more???
Now, we're home 30 minutes later, but it seemed like it took 4 hours to get home, when in reality it was only 2 hours. Screaming kids in a car, will definitely do that to you!
Overall, the trip was a success. The girls did not fight in the car, to the theater, at the theater, or on the way home. And, about 15 minutes after we got home, my Mom called and said she was coming to get Charly for the evening. So, there was also no fighting the rest of the evening. What a great way to end a great day!!

2 comments:

  1. Aww...I laughed out loud (literally) when I was picturing little Kenna sitting there in the theatre...I'm glad you girls had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura - It was pretty cute. She was such a big girl, and she loved that! And, the big screen completely amazed her, that is, until about 3/4 of the way through...but I still consider it a HUGE success. :D

    ReplyDelete